- This event has passed.
Cornell AgriTech 140th Anniversary Open House
August 13 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Learn how science happening on the Cornell AgriTech campus impacts New York food and agriculture. Faculty, students and staff will showcase their scientific research, give tours of our facilities, research fields and greenhouses and demonstrate how important (and fun) science really is.
Open House highlights (subject to change):
- Look through a high powered microscope at New York crop diseases.
- Meet some hissing cockroaches and learn about insect biology.
- Check-out the tractors we use in our research fields.
- Learn about unique ways that vegetables can be grown in raised beds.
- Find out what it takes to breed tasty tomatoes in unique shapes, sizes and colors.
- Extract DNA from a banana using household ingredients and learn how USDA scientists use genetics to improve our food.
- Tour our Cornell Food Venture pilot plant and learn from experts what it takes to make some of your favorite food products safe and delicious.
- Find out how our Cornell Craft Beverage Institute supports the growing New York craft beverage industry.
- Watch us operate drones and robots used to analyze crop health.
- Visit our collections containing thousands of apple, grape and cherry varieties. Learn how we use genetic traits from these collections to breed new fruit varieties.
- Get insight on what it takes to implement lake friendly lawn care.
- Peruse the many weeds growing in our area and get some tips and tricks on how to manage them.
- Enjoy a walking history tour of our 140 year old campus.
- Meet some beneficial insects and learn how they pollinate our flowers and crops.
- Check-out some predacious mites used for pest management.
- Tour our greenhouses and visit our research fields.
- And much, much more!
Our open house is open to all audiences and all are encouraged to visit our campus for a fun-filled educational day.
Parking is available at Jordan Hall at 630 W. North St. Geneva, NY. No registration required.